On June 11, 2022, powerlifter Max Shethar (140KG) deadlifted 365 kilograms (804.7 pounds) during the 2022 United States Powerlifting Association (USPA) Matt Hurley Drug Tested Memorial Meet in Helena, MT. The pull from a conventional stance — where Shethar wore a lifting belt — is a new World Record for the Teen 18-19 division and is the heaviest-ever deadlift achieved by a 19-year-old, per Open Powerlifting.
In addition to his new record deadlift, Shethar’s final total of 907.2 kilograms (2,000 pounds) is a new World Record for the Teen 18-19 division. Shethar owned the previous top figure when he notched an 882.5-kilogram (1,945.6-pound) total at the 2021 USPA Ragnarok Invite II.
Here are Shethar’s top stats from the competition:
Max Shethar (140KG) | 2022 USPA Matt Hurley Drug Tested Memorial Meet Top Stats
- Squat — 334.7 kilograms (738 pounds) | Personal Record (PR)
- Bench Press — 207.3 kilograms (457 pounds) | PR
- Deadlift — 365 kilograms (804.7 pounds) | World Record (Teen 18-19 division)
- Total — 907.2 kilograms (2,000 pounds) | World Record (Teen 18-19 division)
Shethar is accustomed to breaking records on sanctioned platforms and lifting staggering weights during training sessions. In May 2018, when Shethar was 15-years-old, he squatted 260 kilograms (575 pounds). Then, in October 2019, he was the youngest athlete ever to deadlift 327.5 kilograms (722 pounds). Finally, in May 2020, at 17, Shethar captured a 283.5-kilogram (625-pound) deadlift double PR.
The Pacific Northwest native’s strength has only continued to improve since then. According to the caption of Shethar’s deadlift post on his Instagram, his recent pull is a new PR by roughly 33 pounds. That assertion adds up as he pulled 350 kilograms (771.6 pounds) at the 2021 USPA Ragnarok Invite II.
About Max Shethar
Despite his youth, Shethar has already constructed quite the resume for a young powerlifter. In seven career competitions, he is undefeated, finishing in first place in every instance. Here’s Shethar’s complete catalog of results to date:
Max Shethar | Complete Career Results
- 2017 USA Powerlifting (USAPL) Washington State Championships (93KG) — First place | Teen 1 division
- 2018 USAPL Washington State Championships (125KG) — First place | Teen 1 division
- 2018 USAPL Raw Nationals (125KG)— First place | Teen 2 division
- 2019 USPA Drug Tested Washington State Open (140KG) — First place | Teen 16-17 division
- 2021 USPA Ragnarok Invite II (140KG) — First place | Open
- 2022 Big Iron Classic State Championships (140KG) — First place | Open
- 2022 USPA Matt Hurley Drug Tested Memorial Meet (140KG) — First place | Teen 18-19 division
At the time of this writing, Shethar has not announced his next competition. Whenever that contest comes, it seems likely he’ll continue to scribble his name all over the record books.
Featured image: @the_one_rep_max on Instagram