Fortnite: Is Your Child Obsessed With This Computer Game; What You Need to Know
Fortnite is the new rage in the video gaming world and from what we checked out and hear, it seems to have actually taken the world by a storm. Dr Sanjay Chugh elaborates on the gaming sensation and its influence on health.
- Compulsive video gaming may make your child compromise on his studies
- Try to present your child to other hobbies
- Connect to a mental health professional if required
Fortnite is the new rage in the video gaming world and from what we read and hear, it appears to have actually taken the world by a storm – whether it is a world of teenagers or of the grownups. It might seem more benign in the sense that the graphics are not as gory and violent as in numerous other games these days. Individuals may search for benefits and demerits of this game, however the genuine area of issue is how ‘addicted’ is your child to it. It is the nature of these games that one tends to get compulsively hooked to them. This mostly occurs at the cost of other things in life. For example, your child might jeopardize on his studies, home chores, his individual hygiene, food, trips with family or friends, and the good ol’ going outdoors to play.
Over a period of compulsive gaming, one may discover children losing out on their fundamental social abilities including the need and ability to interact, along with the ability to relate with human beings. It’s fantastic to be able to utilize innovation in a conscious way. For instance, it would be excellent to use such games to increase mental processing speed or some other brain function such as memory, attention, problem resolving, language, and visual-spatial abilities. This nevertheless, can be accomplished just if these video games are utilized for a minimal duration (besides other aspects). For the parents who might be dealing with their child’s compulsive or addicting video gaming, here are a couple of things that they must implement on an immediate basis:
1. Cut down on the time that your kid can invest playing these games. Do not stop it completely abruptly as that is more likely to have adverse consequences.
Also read: Giving up Processed food Can Trigger Withdrawal Symptoms Like Drug Dependency: Study
2. Bring down gaming to a single system or device. The child must not have access to multiple systems like mobile phones, ipads, laptop computers, xbox, PSPs etc.
3. Be a part of the video game selection process and make sure that your child does not select extremely addicting games like the MMOs. Attempt and select games that involve physical activity.
4. Attempt to introduce your child to other hobbies, family interactions, and outside activities.
Likewise read: I am Addicted To Porn; Is It Hazardous? Dr Rajan Bhonsle On Sex Addiction
5. Seek aid. Addictions and compulsive behaviors require not be ignored. Reach out to a mental health specialist.
( Dr Sanjay Chugh is a Senior Psychiatrist based in Delhi).